You’ve been hearing the term “Net Neutrality” for a while now. You sort of know it’s about keeping open access to the internet, for all. But you haven’t looked into the boring details because other people are taking care of that for you. Now… TODAY… is the time to change that.
The FCC is rolling back the Net Neutrality protections put in place during the Obama administration. Today is the day where the internet comes together to stop them. If we don’t, big cable companies (in other words, your internet providers) will control what we see and do online. Widespread throttling, blocking, censorship, and extra fees will follow.
What this will mean in the real world is an internet that ever-more-closely mirrors the extreme stratification we see offline. Small nonprofits won’t be able to get their messages out to donors and clients. Social justice activists will no longer have a level playing field to get the word out. And you–as a customer–will pay more money for an internet that is measurably worse than the one you have now.
So what can you do?
1) Take a few minutes today to really understand what we’re facing.
- Watch and share the explainer video below
- Visit Battle for the Net (if you don’t want to sign up for their list, just scroll down the page for tips)
- spread the word on social media
2) Let Congress know that this FCC rule matters to you.
- Use this easy form to email your representatives
- Use the same form to call Congress. Today. Right now.